Ride Or Die

        




Nancy sat at the cafeteria fixated to her phone like the world was going to come to an abrupt end if she did as much as took a glance away from the device. In front of her was a forlorn plate of rice and moi moi which was now being devoured by hungry flies. She seemed to have found a way to contain her whole life and self into the miniature gadget. It was her sole way of shutting off herself from the world that according to her, was filled 

with backstabbers, liars and deceitful people.
It was, to her , a therauptic way of healing from her messy break up from a four year relationship that had ended in less than an hour. She was beginning to realize that life was indeed transient and nothing was at all permanent. Internet addiction was the path to her salvation and she had embraced it with open arms. At first ,it was tough for her to view his WhatsApp status and see him smile to the camera. As distant as he was from her, he still managed to ruin her days.His happiness was like a stab in her heart. He was happy! Without her! It would have been easier to talk to someone say a friend or her brother but these days, people tend to have loose mouths and an uncanny knack for spreading gists. So, she bore her pains alone or rather alone with her phone.

Frankly uninterested in the food before her, she stood up and started to leave the table. Giving the flies a field day on the fairly attractive meal. All her classes for the week were canceled because the Students while protesting for light and water, prevented classes from holding as well as destroy some school properties. Thus, the school declared a one-week break in order to fix things.

At the exit of the cafeteria, she bumped into a young man. “Jeez! Are you blind?” She inquired angrily. “If anyone is blind here, it should be you. Why are you pressing your phone while walking?” The young man fired back. “I’m I’m sorry...” She muttered and then began to leave but her path was hindered by the young man. “Please excuse me.” She requested from the stranger now eyeing him in disgust. “No. “ He replied .“I need your your help.” Nancy took one more cursory glance at the stranger and immediately passed him off as one of those people who came to the school to beg students for alms. She was in 100level when one of them came into the lecture room and said his child was dying at the hospital. She was so touched that she gave him the last 1k in her purse and even urged others to donate to the man. However, he came again in 300level with the same story! Not even a plot twist or rearrangement! “I don’ have money. If you don’t mind, I’m in a hurry I have to go.” She replied.
“No. Please don’t go. I need your help.”
“How?” She inquired.
“Okay. This is my first time in this University. I need someone to show me around.”
“Why should I do that?” 
“Because I’ll pay you.”
While they were still talking, another guy walked up to them.
“Never mind. He’s with me.” The stranger said.
“So?”
“I said I will pay for your service.”
“How much can you pay? And why don’t you allow your money show you around?”
The stranger smiled. “Obviously, my money can’t show me around that’s why I need your help. I’ll pay you 10k for your time.” He pleaded.
“Why will you pay 10k for just showing you around?” She inquired. 
“Because I’m generous. Please help me.”
She wanted to say no. Then go back to her hostel to grab some sleep, but something about this stranger just says to help him. She had so many questions in her mind. Was he writer? An investigator? Or a tourist. In fact, she seemed not to care. Before she could even think it through, she heard herself say, “Let’s go.”



To be continued.



Have a wonderful week.

Xoxo
Dieko.


Photo credit:freepik.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Lied

18 Positive Quotes To Start The Year With

Hello Heaven