Music Review: Dear John by Taylor Swift



People listen to songs for different reasons. Some listen for the beat: they just want to get caught up in the groove of the song. Some also listen for the lyrics, they can't forget the song in an hurry because it says so much about their personal lives. Then there are the fan base, those who listen to a song because they adore the artiste. So, it doesn't matter if the artiste releases a track with him just humming, they don't care as long as it comes from that person.

While most artistes sing to serenade, entertain their audience, some others sing to communicate their pains, sad experiences to people who can relate with them. So their audience knows what it feels like being in their shoes. Artistes like Adele, Labyrinth, Sam Smith and Taylor Swift are known for this genre of music.

Well,  I started listening to Taylor a few months ago. Actually what drew me in was Blank Space. I was so thrilled with its lyrics. Particularly because It potrays a lady who doesn't allow herself to be brought down by the number of bozos she meets. I like the song especially the 'You can tell me when it's over ' part.

Ok. So, I've always had Dear John on my phone but I've really never actually listened to it until I had my playlists shuffled and whola! Comes the amazing song.

One of the reasons I like Taylor is because she's on of the few people who cheat on their challenges. Sometimes it can be really hard letting go. A normal girl could keep mourning over an heart break for years, shutting her heart from love and carrying the 'All men are the same.' Placard to justify her pain. But that doesn't change the fact that she has to shut down the pity party and move on with her life.

One of the things Taylor Swift's music teaches me, is to never hold on too tightly to anything or anyone. Some people are meant to come and go to teach us to be stronger and making them stay longer might just be a way of hurting one's self the more.

I just can't stop playing Dear John since I heard it. I've played it well over 30 times since yesterday. That's because the lyrics of the song makes meaning to me. The song talks about a short lived relationship with a guy who was older than the singer was, who was a cassanova going about breaking people's heart. Of all the things to say about a song, I'll say I love the ambience of Dear John. It is cool, calm and engaging.
Enjoy the lyrics.



TAYLOR SWIFT LYRICS

"Dear John"

Long were the nights when

My days once revolved around you

Counting my footsteps

Praying the floor won’t fall through, again

And my mother accused me of losing my mind

But I swore I was fine

You paint me a blue sky

And go back and turn it to rain

And I lived in your chess game

But you changed the rules everyday

Wonderin’ which version of you I might
 get on the phone, tonight

Well I stopped pickin’ up and this song is to let you know why

Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone.

Don't you think I was too young

To be messed with?

The girl in the dress

Cried the whole way home, I should've known.

Well maybe it’s me

And my blind optimism to blame

Or maybe it’s you and your sick need

To give love then take it away

And you'll add my name to your long

list of traitors who don't understand

And I'll look back in regret how I

    ignored when they said,

"Run as fast as you can."


Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone.

Don't you think I was too young

To be messed with?

The girl in the dress

Cried the whole way home

Dear John, I see it all now it was wrong

Don’t you think nineteen’s too young

To be played by your dark, twisted games?

When I loved you so, I should've known.


You are an expert at "Sorry"

And keeping lines blurry

Never impressed by me acing your tests

All the girls that you've run dry have

tired lifeless eyes

Cause you've burned them out

But I took your matches

Before fire could catch me

So don’t look now

I’m shining like fireworks

Over your sad empty town

Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone.

Don't you think I was too young

To be messed with?

The girl in the dress

Cried the whole way home

I see it all now that you're gone

Don't you think I was too young

To be messed with?

The girl in the dress

Wrote you a song, you should’ve known.

You should’ve known

Don’t you think I was too young?

You should’ve known.

                Have a wonderful day.
                        Kizzes.
                        With Love, Dieko.

Comments

Samantha said…
I love this song! She has some great stuff!
I absolutely love this song by her! I also think it's funny that it's about Joh Mayer who is another one of my favorite musicians.

xo
Sami
www.theclassicbrunette.com
Unknown said…
I always want to not like Taylor Swift's music, but she gets me every time! She really is a super talented songwriter.
Rachel Gault said…
Her songwriting is really great! My little sister used to be obsessed with this one!
Mary B said…
She has some really great songs! Despite what many people say about her, she does have talent.

Mary
Jingle Jangle Jungle

Popular posts from this blog

You Lied

18 Positive Quotes To Start The Year With

Hello Heaven